Thursday, July 14, 2016

Does What You Do Define Who You Are?

No, it doesn't.

It's kind of crazy to believe. I know for me that when I do something wrong I end up jumping to the worst idea and saying that I don't do anything right or all I'm capable of is bad. And that is FALSE.

I've been struggling lately...a lot. I'll admit it. I wonder if I've been battling depression for a little over a month now. The other day, my aunt had a little bit of a talk with me. She wants me to stop being discouraged and putting myself down. She said a lot of good things and made some great points but the thing that really hit me hard was when she said something like, "What you do isn't who you are. You can do stuff but that doesn't mean that's who you are. Cause who you are is always a blessing."

That encouraged me and so I texted that to my best friend and then she and I went into a debate on how specifically this could be true. Here's how I'd explain it:

All people are created by God. He created us in His image, which means that we were intended to be perfect, like He is. However, ever since Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden, we have been marred. We sin, and thus, are no longer perfect. But then comes the question? Are people completely sinful? Someone who has stolen and lied and cheated can still do nice things for someone with their intentions being selfless. Very true. So how do we explain this? Well, to us, that is good. People can still be "good" in our eyes. However, God says that all our righteousness is as filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6). Why? That is because we are no longer perfect so He sees us as flawed individuals. Nevertheless, we know that Jesus died for us (Romans 5:6), and that when we accept His gift of salvation, God sees us in a new light. He only sees Jesus righteousness that both washed away our sins as well as lives inside of us. We are truly good to both Him and to humanity. 

So does what we do define us? No, it doesn't. That's because we were all made fearfully and wonderfully (Psalm 139:14). We sin, but there is a way out and Jesus is always waiting with open arms to forgive anyone that will turn to Him (1 Timothy 2:4; 1 John 1:9)...and God can see us as perfect through the eyes of His Son. The reason what we do doesn't define who we are is that there is ALWAYS HOPE. And that hope is through Jesus. 

Much love <3,
Sydney

No comments:

Post a Comment