Friday, April 29, 2016

My Friends Are Like My Family?

Tonight I started thinking about my friends. I'm not sure how it was sparked on, but one of the things on my mind lately is the fact that my best guyfriend is graduating with his associates degree tomorrow (well at the hour I'm writing this, it's technically today, haha). He's only 17 and pushed really hard the last couple of years through early college. He graduates from high school in about a month and is moving away to finish university at the end of the summer. I already don't see him enough (and he lives like just a few miles from me) and so you can only begin to imagine how much I'm going to miss him. That said, I really am proud of him and all that he has accomplished. I want him to pursue his dreams and God's plan for his life. I've known him since he was a kid (and by that I mean I've known him since he was an awkward little tween...if I may say it) and to see him grow up and watch him achieve everything he has makes my heart swell with pride. I can't help it if I have an older sister or even a mom streak. I guess it's just how I am.

So yeah, it's stuff like that--realizing that he's graduating with his associates early, hearing my bestie got promoted to a higher position right after he started his job, thinking of being there every step of the way to see my 12-year-old best friend grow up, and even seeing my childhood friends perform their own little musical comedy act--that can make me feel so proud or even tear up. 

That said, I started to realize a couple things about my friends tonight. Not only are my lifelong closest friends my siblings, and my biological siblings my best friends, but my best friends are also like my siblings in a sense. I get super proud of them in a way that an older sister (or even a mom...yeah, I just aged myself :P) would. They're like my family. I want to be there with them to celebrate their accomplishments, mourn their sorrows, and support them every step of the way--to be there as if our veins carried blood from the same two parents.

As you can tell, I feel really close to my friends. I think that's because with most of them, we have the bond of Christ between us. We do have the same blood...the blood of Jesus. It has covered us. He has called us His own and forgiven our sins as He alone can do. We are siblings...and perhaps that's why I feel this way.

I like to believe that God put certain people in my life for specific reasons. I pray over my friendships...that God would guide them. Oh, and let me say, I have some amazing friends right now. God has placed them in my life, and, in the here and now, they are my world...and they are my family. :) As it has been said, "Family is not about blood. It's about who is willing to hold your hand when you need it the most." Those words ring so true for me. <3

Thank you, God, for the people you have placed in my life. I love you guys.

Love, 
Sydney

No comments:

Post a Comment